Racism in 2009


Racism

Ok, the year is 2009 and unfortunately, one of the hottest topics is still racism. What a shame that with all the new technology, new styles, and new ideas and concepts in America we revert to an older term- ‘racism’ There is nothing futuristic about racism. The word ‘racism’ conveys images of selected groups of people who have prejudiced views of other people. Racist views date back to an uglier American time that many people do not care to talk about in the new millennium. Well, one might try to step into a new century and think that racism is packed neatly away archived in the history books; yet, that would be a foolish step to take. It seems that the new millennium has not buried racist views and beliefs. The tactic these days seems to be to subtle displays of racism.
Today, there are subtle ploys such as denying and limiting credit to consumers based on where they shop. There are racist maneuver moves engineered in the housing market as predatory lenders set out with trickery to take away people’s homes with a vehicle called adjustable rate mortgages. In addition, not so subtle racism views are found in public newspapers. That is right, a recent cartoon made strong references that compared our current African American President- Mr. Barack Obama- to a chimpanzee. Thus, it is obvious that racism in America is a very real and tangible force that cannot be denied, minimized, or ignored. Yet, in 2009, we celebrate the achievements that minorities have made in spite of the humongous hurdle of racist views. However, while we celebrate achievement we due disservice to our ancestors if we disregard the continuous displays of racism we still encounter everyday. Recently, Eric Holder, newly appointed Attorney General of the United States described citizens of the United States as cowardly when it comes to matter of race. In fact, Mr. Holder continued his speech made in honor of Black History Month by saying that we choose to segregate socially on the weekends in the United States. After careful consideration, I find that I concur with Mr. Holder’s statements.
However, I believe that we flock to groups of sameness because that is a natural tendency that is embedded within most people. Frankly, I do not find it offensive for this type of harmonization within racially diverse groups. The danger or harm comes into play when you limit, deny, humiliate, ridicule, satirize, objectify, arrest, rape, falsely accuse, set-up, or make a mockery of someone strictly based on race. As an African- American, I have yet to feel I have the same opportunities as my Caucasian counterpart. As I raise my daughters, I teach them about America, our history, and our hope for the future. I pray for them a future with unlimited potential. Sadly, though I am skeptical if they will have a future that does not include racism in some form. Therefore, I teach my children to remember those before us who fought so hard for us to have the freedoms we experience today. However, I preach for them to strive for a balance in their lives where they have friends of all races and pray for those who still swim in a pool of racism and hatred.
Legislation and laws may come to pass that rid some of the subtle racism tactics that are being used today. Despite that, I am sure they will only resurface with other maneuvering racist trends. Lastly, cartoonist can continue to humiliate, talk show hosts can continue to sensationalize, and the big wigs can continue to create predatory lending methods…just as I will continue to keep my faith in the most high...this faith is the armor that protects me and my family from any racist hatred that comes my way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Plug rolls out the red carpet for movie premiere

3 sexy red heels for February

BMore Lifestyle talks Spring 2019 Style with Rosie Mears Shoe Collection